03/06/2014

What do you mean by Eastern Europe?


As you start reading this post, I'd like to ask you to look at the map of Europe. Just google it. So what makes up the territory of Europe and where in the east is it supposed to end?
I am going to be good and whisper the answers. The eastern border of Europe ends by the Ural Mountains which run approximately from north to south through western Russia, from the coast of the Arctic Ocean to the Ural River and northwestern Kazakhstan.

Now, when you're talking about Eastern Europe, what exactly do you mean? Because I mean Russia, parts of Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia...
Look at the map again. So where are the Baltic States, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Moldovia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria?

The answer is - they're in Central Europe.

What is this geographical drama for? Because I have had enough of the term "Eastern Europe" when talking about the countries mentioned above. "Eastern European countries", "Women from Eastern Europe", "Eastern European food". Wrong.

Well, there is nothing wrong with being from an Eastern European country, but this is actually geographically correct. "Eastern Europe" is a rather political term dictated by the history of communism in this part of the continent, but these times went away 25 years ago. This isn't relevant anymore and the term Eastern Europe shouldn't be in use, as it's simply incorrect. Furthermore it does not take into considerations the countries which are really in Eastern Europe and deserve at least to be known for where they are.

Have you ever heard that Greece is an Eastern European country for example? Because if we are of the view that Eastern Europe goes from Baltic States towards Bulgaria, speaking correctly Greece would come under Eastern Europe wouldn't it? Not to mention Finland up on the East bordering with Russia.

The Iron Curtain was raised years ago, the only one left is the one in our mind.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Christoff. I was born and raised in the Ukraine town of Odessa, by the sea. My mum always told me I was from Eastern Europe. Now I realise that she was wrong. I think I need to have counselling ...

    ReplyDelete