19/04/2013

Life Coach - my view on life coaching / Mój punkt widzenia



By a definition a Life Coach is a person whose services we can use when we look for help in resolving a certain personal issue. It could be related to relationships, whether at work, in a family or our friendships. If we need a support on our career path, a Career Coach would be a more suitable choice.
I personally have studied Corporate and Executive Coaching and even though the course is only an introduction to this profession, I can truly confirm, that it is a rich source of knowledge which offers a great set of tools and skills for career development.
I also used both coaching services mentioned above. I found some of them very helpful while other less beneficial. Why?

A Life/Career Coach is a person, who accordingly to our circumstances asks right questions in order to help us achieve our goals. A Coach can also use all sorts of coaching exercises in order to discover our potential or to establish what limiting beliefs add to our failures. Both the questions and coaching exercises, e.g. visualisation, may effectively help us to achieve our goals.
Sounds great and it is really worth trying, but it is important that we choose a Coach who is suitable for our needs. What do I mean by that? Let me share here some personal experience. When I was unemployed and I needed support in putting together a good job-seeking strategy, I decided to look for a Career Coach advice. My former employer, who made me redundant, offered to pay for this service so I had a fair freedom in choosing the best possible coaching professional. Instead of taking time, out of desperation to find a job as quickly as possible I decided to go pretty much for the first person I found online. I phoned her, had a nice chat and agreed to start our cooperation. I purposely use the word “cooperation” as I believe that coaching is exactly that - full cooperation and commitment from both parties involved.
The Career Coach lady seemed to be very professional. She shared with me a few tips on how to look for employment, what strategies to use, how to answer difficult interview questions etc. All that was provided to me ticked the boxes in her coaching manual. What was lacking though, was personal connection and empathy. For my liking, perhaps because  I am a woman (I’m using a stereotype here) it is necessary to establish emotional connection in order to achieve successful cooperation. What’s more, in our sessions my coach did not touch upon important topics like skills, motivation, preferences with regard to working environment, self-esteem, confidence, limiting beliefs etc. I strongly believe that it would have helped me in discovering my strengths and building back my self-confidence – the key factors that contribute to achieving goals. As a consequence I continued looking for work for quite a while after I finished my coaching sessions. I rather doubt, that the job I eventually found was an effect of our cooperation.
I also practised coaching with my student colleagues from the Corporate and Executive Coaching course. The outcomes varied as well, although most often we instinctively chose each other, therefore the connection between us appeared naturally. Even though I did not pay for their services, coaching with them was beneficial. I want to point out that paying for coaching can definitely motivate us to engage and progress. Committing financially means that we take it seriously and we obviously expect return on our investment.
I think it is also important to start coaching at the right moment in our lives, i.e. when we feel ready and strong enough to make changes. Coach, of course, should ‘give us wings’ and lift our spirits, but if we are not willing to change and work on ourselves, the results can be rather poor. Unfortunately we may put all the blame on coaching and thus give up the idea of using this kind of services all together.
That's why the connection which is created between us and the coach is so important. Before we start our coaching sessions it could be beneficial to not only talk over the phone, but also meet in person. After all, we open ourselves to someone we like and not otherwise. If we have only a telephone or Skype sessions, we should pay attention to our feelings and impressions, talk about it freely and ask questions.
Who our coach is and what he or she does in life of course dictates the area in which we will be coached. I personally like to know, that my Coach is in a successful relationship themselves, if I’m seeking help in the relationship area. With regards to career or self-development, I like to know that my coach is an expert in this area or has a successful career that I would desire (accordingly to my values). It is not a set in stone rule, but I think that the energy exchange between us and our coach determines the outcome. After all that’s the whole point, isn’t it?
In my view coaching is unquestionably a practice of self-development, which is well worth trying. I just don’t agree with the “Life Coach” term, which is very relative. I would rather change it to Mentor,. Mentor is someone who guides, helps to expand our self awareness and most importantly believes in us.
Therefore I wish you to find a real Master in mentoring!


WERSJA POLSKA / POLISH VERSION



Life Coach. Z definicji jest to osoba, do której możemy zgłosić się jeśli szukamy pomocy w rozwiązaniu jakiegoś problemu osobistego w dziedzinach takich jak np. związek, praca, rodzina, znajomi i wiele innych. Jeśli natomiast potrzebujemy wsparcia na naszej ścieżce zawodowej lepszym rozwiązaniem będzie Career Coach. Sama ukończyłam kurs Corporate Executive Coaching (Coaching w korporacji) i mimo to, że według mnie kurs był tylko wstępem do tej profesji, mogę śmiało stwierdzić, że zawiera on bardzo pomocne narzędzia rozwoju kariery.
Osobiście korzystałam też z usług obu wyżej wymienionych. Jedni pomogli mi bardzo, inni prawie wcale. Dlaczego?


Life/Career Coach to osoba, która zadaje pytania adekwatne do naszej sytuacji, aby pomoc nam osiagnac zamierzony cel. Coach może też prowadzić z nami ćwiczenia odkrywajcące nasz potencjał lub przyczyny naszych niepowodzeń. Zarówno pytania jak i narzędzia coachingowe w postaci np ćwiczeń wizualizacji (wyobrażania sobie różnych sytuacji) mogą skutecznie pomóc nam w osiagnięciu naszych celów. Brzmi fajnie i naprawdę warto spróbować, ale dobrze najpierw upewnić się, że osoba, której usługi wybieramy jest dla nas odpowiednia.

Co przez to rozumiem? Kiedy byłam bez pracy i potrzebowałam wsparcia oraz planu jak tą pracę zdobyć, udałam się do Career Coacha. Mój pracodawca, który zadecydował mnie zwolnić płacił za ten coaching, więc mogłam wybierać. Nie mniej jednak, z desperacji aby jak najszybciej znaleźć pracę zdecydowałam się praktycznie na pierwszą-lepszą osobę, którą znalazłam w internecie. Zadzwoniłam, było miło więc zaczełam z nią współpracę.
Słowa "współpraca" używam celowo, bo uważam, że coaching to nie tylko usługa, z której korzystamy. To pełna kooperacja i zobowiązanie po obu stronach.
Pani owa odnosila wrażenie profesjonalnej. Podzieliła się ze mną paroma cennymi wskazówkami co do tego, jak szukać pracy, strategie jej zdobywania, jak odpowiadać na rozmowach kwalifikacyjnych na zadawane pytania itp. Wszystko, co profesjonalane i mieściło się w schemacie jej coachingu zostało mi udzielone. Zabrakło tylko zwykłej więzi oraz szczerej empatii ze storny tej Pani. Pomogłoby mi to zdecydowanie w odkryciu swoich możliwosci w tamtym czasie i umocnieniu wiary w siebie, co przecież jest kluczem przy osiąganiu celów. Nie było między nami "chemii" i jak to ja lubię nazywać "connection" (z ang połączenie), co dla mnie, może też dlatego że (posłużę się tutaj stereotypem) jestem kobietą, jest niezbędne do nawiązania pomyślnej współpracy. Niestety, na naszych sesjach coachingowych nie zostały też przerobione podstawowe moduły programu coachingu, dotyczące sfery emocjonalnej i psychologicznej czyli np. pewności siebie, poczucia przynależności do danego otoczenia, stawianych sobie organiczeń itp. W efekcie, jeszcze długo po zakończeniu naszych sesji szukałam pracy i raczej wątpie, czy to że ją w końcu znalazłam było skutkiem naszej współpracy.

Praktykowałam również coaching z moimi znajomymi, z którymi razem go studiowałam i tutaj też bywało różnie, ale najczęściej dobieraliśmy się instynktownie i wtedy "chemia" między nami pojawiała się naturalnie. Mimo, iż nie płaciłam za ich usługi, coaching skutkował. Choć muszę tu zaznaczyć, że płacenie za tę usługę może też niesamiowicie mobilizować nas do pracy nad sobą. Dajemy sobie bowiem do zrozumienia, że angaujemy się w poważną sprawę, no i przecież chcemy aby zainwestowane pieniążki się opłaciły!


Myślę, że dobrze też się jest zgłosić na coaching w odpowiednim momencie naszego życia, czyli wtedy, kiedy czujemy się na siłach wprowadzać w nim zmiany. Coach oczywiście pownien nam dodać skrzydeł i podnieśc na duchu, ale jeśli jesteśmy zablokowani i nie chętni do zmian i pracy nad sobą, to efekty mogą być mało zadowalające, a my możemy winić za to właśnie coaching. To rownież może powstrzymać nas przed skorzystaniem z tego typu usług w przyszłości. Dlatego ważna tak bardzo jest chemia, jaka wytwarza się między nami a coachem. Przed rozpoczęciem sesji dobrze jest nie tylko porozmawiać przez telefon, ale rownież spotkać się osobiście. Przecież otworzymy się na kogoś, kogo lubimy, a nie odwrotnie. Jeśli mamy do dyspozycji tylko sesje telefoniczne lub Skype obserwujmy nasze odczucia ze zwiększoną uwagą i nie bójmy się zadawać pytań. Kim nasz coach jest, co robi w życiu oczywiście w zależności od tego, nad jakim tematem będziemy pracować.

Ja osobiście lubię, kiedy osoba, która udziela mi coachigu np. na tematy zwiazków sama w takim się znajduje i jest on udany. Jeśli chodzi o karierę, czy o pracę nad sobą, lubię kiedy ta osoba sama nad sobą pracuje i ma karierę, której bym pozazdrościła (relatywnie do moich wartości). Nie jest to regula, ale myślę, że energia, którą wymieniamy z naszym coachem w dużej części stanowi o powodzeniu coachingu. A przecież o to w końcu chodzi.

Coaching to moim zdaniem niekwestionnowana praktyka samo rozwoju, której warto doświadczyć. Nie lubię tylko nazwy Life Coach. Life - życie, według mnie to pojęcie bardzo względne i się nie definiuje. Raczej bym użyła określenia "Mentor". Mentor, to ktoś, kto prowadzi, uświadamia, a co najważniejsze - w nas wierzy.

Daltego Mentora przez duże "M" Wam życzę!

1 comment:

  1. I received tha valuable life coaching services of Margarita. And only in the space of a few short years, thanks to this focus this coaching has given me, I have reached the top of my own professional tree. And the view looks great.

    ReplyDelete