18/12/2013

Why do I want to have children? / Dlaczego chcę mieć dzieci?

 
From the family album


Have you ever asked your parents why were you born? And I don’t mean it in the sense of self-destructive existential questions, but in search for a true cause of your being.
You may hear all sorts of different answers from: “We were dreaming about having you”, “We wanted a baby girl” to “We didn’t plan on you (by that time)”, “I didn’t want to be alone” and so on. You may hear nothing back and that’s fine too. Whatever the answer is, I hope it's reasonable, rather than sad or tragic.

I am not going to judge here the motivations of our parents for having us. I want to challenge our reasons for wanting children (if we do).



So let me start again with a similar question: “Why would you like to have children?” Please, think it carefully. Don’t say: “Because everybody else (whoever it is) has them by now”, “Because that’s how the world goes on” and those sort of blah blah explanations.

Answer from inside from deep inside from your heart.


The maternal or paternal instinct might be urging you and that’s OK. But that’s about you, not the child. You reckon that your genes need to be passed on? Great. But again, that’s about you.



How about to put yourself in the shoes of a little unborn and ask yourself: “What is that my parents can give me?”


Not in the sense of material wants and possessions, but in a true recognition of what it is that we already have to offer to our child, so that he or she will become a happy and good person. And again, as a parent you may ask yourself: What will they be able to learn from me? How will I teach them what I know? How will I share my life experience with them? If I was a child of me would I be happy having a parent like me?

I am not a mother myself (as yet) and I can understand that the answers to those questions might come gradually as our child develops. However, I believe, that the sooner we gain the clarity about it, the better our focus become on creating a happy person.

Most of us (with the whole respect to those who can't) can have children. It's not an art. The art is to support them to their best and accompany them in their life mission.

Are you able to do that?




WERSJA POLSKA / POLISH VERSION 



Czy kiedykolwiek pytałeś swoich rodziców dlaczego się urodziłeś? Nie w amoku egzystencjalnych wątpliwości czy jakimś auto destruktywnym sensie, ale w poszukiwaniu  rdzenia twojego bytu. 

Napewno usłyszysz różnego rodzaju odpowiedzi począwszy od: "Zawsze marzyliśmy, aby cię mieć", "Chcieliśmy mieć dziewczynkę" po "Nie planowaliśmy cię (wtedy)" czy "Nie chciałam być sama" i tak dalej. Tyle odpowiedzi, ilu zapytanych ludzi, mam tylko nadzieję, że więcej będzie tych rozsądnych niż smutnych, czy tragicznych. 

Nie będę tutaj oceniać powodów, dla których nasi rodzice się na nas zdecydowali. Chcę za to kwestionować te, dla których my potomostwa chcemy (zakładając, że tak jest). 

Pozwól mi więc zacząć od nowa zadając podobne pytanie: "Dlaczego chcę mieć dzieci?" Pomyśl ostrożnie. Nie mów: "Bo wszyscy dookoła (kogokolwiek masz na myśli) już je mają", "Bo takie jest życie" i tego typu bla bla tłumaczenia. 

Odpowiedz z głębi serca. 

OK, wzywa cię instynkt macieżyński lub tacieżyński. Ale to dotyczy ciebie, nie dziecka. Sądzisz, że warto przekazać dalej twoje "cenne" geny? Super. Tylko, że to znowu tyczy się ciebie.


A jakby tak postawić się w sytuacji nienarodzonego i zapytać siebie: "Co takiego mogą mi dać moi rodzice?"

Nie w kwestii materialnych potrzeb lub własności, ale w prawdziwym uznaniu tego co, możemy naszemu dziecku zaoferować, aby było szczęśliwą i dobrą osobą. I znowu, jako rodzic można zapytać: Czego moje dziecko będzie się mogło ode mnie nauczyć? Jak przekażę mu moją wiedzę? W jaki sposób podzielę się z nim moim doświadczeniem?

Nie jestem (jeszcze) matką i zdaję sobie sprawę, iż odpowiedzi na te pytania mogą pojawiać się stopniowo podczas rozwoju naszego potomka. Nie mniej jednak wierzę, że im prędzej będzie to dla nas jasne, tym lepiej skoncentrujemy się na stworzeniu szczęśliwej osoby.

Większość z nas może mieć dzieci (z całym szacunkiem do tych, którym niestety nie jest to dane). To nie sztuka. Sztuką jest wspierać je w jej mocy i towarzyszyć im w ich życiowej misji. 

Czy jesteś w stanie tego dokonać?










.

No comments:

Post a Comment