30/12/2013

Britian wouldn't be Great without the Scots / Brytania nie byłaby Wielka bez Szkotów


There is something about Scotland. I might say this because I was living here for a while and it was in fact, the first place I arrived to, when moving to Great Britain.

Here I am again in Glasgow, hence this reflection. I can't count the times I have visited this city, since I moved from here to the sunny South of England.

I lived in Glasgow for only a year and a half, enough though to experience the culture of this vibrant city, make (some hopefully lifelong) friendships, work hard and have a lots of fun.
I had a great time here, and the toughest time I could remember having in the UK. 
I enjoyed my life in Glasgow with every cell of my body and I moaned about the weather to the point of annoyance. I was amazed by peoples' open minded nature and friendliness and puzzled by their sometimes shocking simplicity. 

What's more interesting is that Glasgow makes me feel like I was in my hometown. It actually reminds me of it, even though it's not similar at all. If I believed in reincarnation, I would say, that I lived here in my past life. It feels home. At anytime when I am back here. 

There is something about Scotland. It could be its landscapes, the legends, the history or maybe its people. Their joy of being, their singing, harmless emotion for their identity perhaps a bit repressed by the concept of the United Kingdom. 

Scotland is the soul of England, but neither of them know that.  

Britain wouldn't be great without the Scots.




WERSJA POLSKA / POLISH VERSION




Szkocja ma "to coś". Może mówię tak dlatego, że miałam okazję tutaj przez chwilę mieszkać, no i w ogóle było to pierwsze miejsce w Wielkiej Brytanii, do którego przybyłam.

Obecnie znowu przebywam w Glasgow, może stąd ta refleksja. Nie jestem w stanie policzyć ile już razy tu byłam, od kąd wyprowadziłam się na słoneczne południe Anglii.

W Glasgow mieszkałam niespełna półtora roku - wystarczająco, aby ciut poznać kulturę tego wibrującego miasta, zawrzeć przyjaźnie, dużo pracować i świetnie się bawić.
Było mi tu cudownie, ale doznałam też ciężkich dni i tygodni. Napawałam się pięknymi momentami każdą komórką mojego ciała i narzekałam na pogodę do oporu. Byłam zachwycona otwartą naturą oraz życzliwością tutejszych ludzi i czasami zaskoczona ich szokującą prostotą.

Jednak najbardziej zdumiewającą rzeczą jest to, że czuję się w Glasgow jak moim rodzinnym mieście. Bardzo mi ono je przypomina, choć te dwa miejsca wcale nie są do siebie podobne. Gdybym wierzyła w reinkarnację stwierdziłabym, że mieszkałam tutaj w poprzednim życiu. Za każdym razem, kiedy tu jestem czuję się jak w domu.  

Szkocja ma "to coś". Może są to jej krajobrazy, legendy, historia, może są to jej ludzie. Ich radość bycia, ich śpiew, niewinne uczuicie do ich tożsamości, zdaje się trochę stłumionej pojęciem Wielkiej Brytanii. 

Szkocja to dusza Anglii, ale żadne z nich o tym nie wie.

Brytania nie byłaby Wielka bez Szkotów. 



No comments:

Post a Comment