21/04/2014

Śmigus Dyngus - Celebration of Easter Monday in Poland


What is Śmigus Dyngus? And what a name huh? 

Well, Śmigus Dyngus is a funny tradition of Easter Monday in my country. Originally on that day the boys poured the water on the girls. Those girls, who got watered the most were the most wanted, prettiest and guaranteed to get married soon. I said "originally", because, ever since I remember we all practised watering each other on Easter Monday. In my childhood, I was going out with a sprinkler or a water pistol, got together with my other girlfriends and fought with the guys on the water shots. I used to get soaking wet, so that I had to go home before lunchtime to get changed and then back on the batter field!

Some people used this day as an opportunity to go more violent and used to throw the buckets of water straight ahead from their windows, so that whoever was passing by their house... got wet and angry. 

When I was a bit older (let's say a teenager) I have lost my interest in pouring water on the guys. So, I used to go out as nothing was on, and normally someone would throw a plastic bag of water from a window on my head. Oh, the memories of my youth!

Now days I can't see too many kids cherishing this custom anymore, which doesn't mean that it has died. One thing is for sure, once I have my own family I will keep it on! There is nothing more coolest, then a tradition which can be fun!

Well, I will stick to the sprinkels though ;) 



WERSJA POLSKA

Wybaczcie mi dzisiaj brak wersji polskiej, aczkolwiek naszej tradycji Śmigusa Dyngusa chyba nikomu po polsku przedstawiać nie trzeba. Streściłam ten nasz zabawny zwyczaj dla moich zagranicznych czytelników oraz przyjaciół, przywołując wspomnienia Dyngusa z mojego dzieciństwa. Tak, aby się pośmiać, bo święta i już po poście!
Obiecuję, iż następny post będzie zawierał wersję polską, nad którą już notabene pracuję. Wesołych Świąt!





No comments:

Post a Comment